Journal of a Pandemic Year: Part Twenty-Nine

Dear Readers,

I did not have Alaskan weather on my 2021 Bingo Card. We knew it was going to get cold this week. The weather guessers on TV had been saying as much for several days, and for once, they were right on the money. We got some snow mixed with ice and several nights well below freezing, but the real issues involved infrastructure. We had rolling blackouts throughout the state that turned into long term blackouts. My area was lucky. We never lost power, but pretty much everywhere around us did. In fact, the blackout stopped two blocks down the street from us!

On Wednesday afternoon, we had a pipe bust under the sink. When it happened, we were inside and were able to quickly shut off the water coming into the house to minimize the damage. Then, a second water line in the back yard that feeds the old garage burst and we had to call the city to cut off the water at the meter. A plumber came out on Thursday and fixed both of them. Friday morning, the city came out to turn the water back onโ€ฆand a line under the house promptly burst! They shut it back off and the plumber came back Saturday to fix that one. So far, as of Sunday morning, everything is good. But that is subject to change, of course. SNOVID-21 appears to be over, and before long, we will be back to 90+ degree days with 100% humidity and all of this will be like a bad dream.

Originally, I was scheduled to get my second Rona shot on Friday morning at 9am. The County pushed my time back to noon, due to the weather. I made my way up there and waited in line, though not for long, to get it. People who had already gotten the second shot warned me that dose two was an ass kicker. Let me tell you! They werenโ€™t lying! It ended up being 1pm when I got the shot. Sure enough, twelve hours later, My immune system went into overdrive. I got up around 1:30 in the morning to avail myself of the facilities. I felt fine on the way to the bathroom. During the fifteen steps back to the bed, I felt like I had suddenly been hit by a speeding train.

My temperature jumped up to 103 and I had insane chills. I lay there shaking in bed for close to six hours. Then, I got up (around 8) and took some DayQuil. My fever dropped to 101.4 and the chills went away. I spent the rest of the day in bed, getting up every so often to walk around a bit and drink some water or Gatorade. By 10am, my fever was down to 100.5. The worst was mostly over, but around 1pm, the chills came back and my fever started to go back up. Some Tylenol quickly knocked it back down. By the time I went to bed, around 9:30, I still had a slight fever, but it broke overnight. As I right this, on Sunday morning, I am a bit fatigued, but that is all. My arm is still a little stiff where I got the shot, but honestly, I think my arm hurt worse with my first shot. All things considered, Iโ€™ll take 24 hours of misery over having COVID. I am truly fortunate that I was able to get both of my shots so soon. (I am in the 1-B group in Texas due to being immunocompromised.)

With the college shut down all of last week, I have to spend the day figuring out how to amend my calendar for the rest of the semester to make up the lost instructional time, though it is virtual in my case since I am all online.

Until next time, friends, take care of yourselves, and each other.


One thought on “Journal of a Pandemic Year: Part Twenty-Nine

  1. I am so glad you are past that!!!!! Praying for spring flowers for you and yours ASAP!๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’•๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒท๐Ÿ’ Blessings! Mrs. k

    Sent from my iPhone


    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s